Recovery premium and school led tutoring 21-22
What is Recovery Premium?
Children and young people across the country have experienced unprecedented disruption to their education as a result of coronavirus (COVID-19). The aggregate impact of lost time in education will be substantial, and we know that the scale of our response must match the scale of the challenge. We know that we have the professional knowledge and expertise in the school and wider education system to ensure that children and young people recover and get back on track. Returning to normal educational routines as quickly as possible will be critical to our recovery. Although all children have had their education disrupted by the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, we know that it is likely that disadvantaged and vulnerable groups will have been affected most. The Recovery Premium will be allocated using the same data as the pupil premium. This means the following pupils will attract recovery premium funding to schools:
- pupils who are eligible for free school meals (FSM)
- pupils who have been eligible for free school meals at any point in the last 6 years
- children looked after by local authorities and referred to as looked-after children (LAC)
- post looked-after children (post-LAC)
What is School Led Tutoring Grant?
Under School-Led Tutoring, all eligible state-funded schools are given a ringfenced grant to fund locally sourced tutoring provision for disadvantaged pupils. This could include using existing staff such as teachers and teaching assistants or external tutoring resources such as private tutors or returning teachers. The grant gives schools the flexibility to use tutors with whom they are familiar. Funding is allocated for around 60% of pupils, in Year 1 to 11, eligible for pupil premium, per school. 75% of the cost is subsidised in academic year 2021/22. Schools will need to fund the remaining 25% through other budgets, for example recovery premium or pupil premium. The subsidy rate for 2022/23 will be 60% and for 2023/24 will be 25%. Our school led tutoring grant for 21-22 is £2227.
How is school led tutoring carried out?
At Didsbury CE, school led tutoring is carried out by some of the teaching staff after school. Each child selected for school led tutoring will receive 15 hours of tutoring at one hour a week across 15 weeks in the Spring and Summer term. The children work in small group of three. We have a Years 1 and 2 group, a Years 3 and 4 group, a year 5 group and a Year 6 group. Teachers have identified who they feel would benefit most from extra after school tuition and will work with these children through Spring and into the Summer term.